Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Moment You Wake Up, Before You Put On Your Make-Up

Yes, after months of sending out resumes, submitting applications, and biting my fingernails down to the quick, it's happened: I have a job interview.

It's with Rebuilding Pittsburgh, part of the national Rebuilding franchise. Working with tradespeople, volunteers help repair and renovate the homes of needy elderly people throughout Allegheny County. As you might imagine, the demand for this kind of service is huge. I saw on their website that for their "Rebuilding Together" day last April, over 300 households applied for help and only 30 were accepted.

The job is for their Executive Director, and honestly I think the only reason I was able to get a first interview is because PSVN provided volunteers for two "Rebuilding Together" days, and through this work I had a cordial, telephonic relationship with their ED. Since the aforementioned ED is helping with the search for her replacement, she may have helped nudge my application closer to the top of the pile.

But, really, who cares? I don't! I'd just about make a deal with the devil to get a job that a) I like and whose mission I can support; b) has decent benefits/salary; c) the people are reasonably sane and nice to work with.

To make sure I don't have to contact Lucifer and sell my soul for the sake of viable employment, just say a little prayer for me (you can thank me later for having that song stick in your mind all day!).

I'll let you know how it goes in a future post. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. congratulations! and best wishes. had you been looking long for employment? the title of executive director is pretty much the head honcho, am i right?
    that sounds like an organization that may get bigger and busier as the recession lingers.

    is it OK to pray for you just with the HOPE that someone or something will hear that prayer (and without the faith or knowledge that someone WILL?). sorry, agnostic issues here...but if its OK, will pray nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your well wishes anonymous! I quit my last job in late 2007, so it's been a long job search. I'm also looking in DC (I've lived there a couple times before), but want to stay in Pittsburgh. But the job market doesn't make that easy!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie: hey! i hope this works out. keep up informed! -"g" from the VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. julie, i have a phone interview in 8 minutes with a firm i have no intentions of wanting to work for, haha! how did your i'view go?
    bye for now....."g" from the D of C

    ReplyDelete