Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rodney and Me

I'm not ashamed to admit that I am one of the increasing number of Americans that is relying on the government for assistance. This winter season I received LIHEAP to help pay for my heating bill (it covered one month's worth) and beginning in the fall, I've received food stamps and cash assistance to help with my job search (money went towards paying another month's worth of heat).

For those of you who have not applied for welfare benefits, it can be an onorous and time-consuming process. There is a lot of paperwork to fill out, then subsequent visits and phone calls from the Department of Welfare, and then even more paperwork to fill out. There's no getting around it: if you want the benefits, you've got to grit your teeth and fill out whatever form or provide whatever information the Welfare Department asks you to provide, go to their office when they tell you, and answer the phone when they call you.

But I'd have to say my patience officially reached its limit this morning. Last month, I received a renewal notice, with a page-long request of items to submit to them. This renewal notice also notified me of an upcoming telephone interview to take place this morning. I dutifully filled out the forms provided, submitted the over 20 pages of financial documentation, and waited by the phone this morning for the obligatory post-paperwork interview.

Well, the designated hour came and went, and no call from my caseworker. I waited nearly an hour, then called my caseworker. What did I learn? She's on medical leave this month, so don't leave her a message! Instead, I was directed to her supervisor. Oh, I thought to myself, I'll call her supervisor alright. I had a harranguing all planned in my head.

But--the Department of Welfare got the last laugh when I called the supervisor--and her voice mail was full. Can't leave a message! Now you would think that since this phone interview didn't take place due to the fault of the Department of Welfare, that the onus is on them to make sure it gets re-scheduled. Ha! If someone else wants to risk losing benefits in these circumstances, I say go right ahead.

I am not saying I am unappreciative of the government helping me. But what I am saying is that just because I am not working doesn't mean my time is not valuable. Don't give me marching orders to be poised by my phone at the appointed day and time to not bother to call me, or to even tell me the call is not going to come. That's just bad manners, and like my friend Rodney says, it shows no respect.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that.

    Even under the best of circumstances dealing with the social "service" bureaucracy (a misnomer if there ever was one) is an arduous affair (for all the reasons you cite.) Unfortunately, at the present time, the situation is made even worse by (a) increasing demand on the welfare system; and (b) falling tax revenue. And while the recently passed stimulus package will (as I'm sure you know) provide increased revenue to the states for social welfare programs like foodstamps, it will not happen overnight (and, in fact, individuals who receive benefits would be wise to contact the DPW to question them about exactly how and when benefits will be increased.)

    Unfortunately, I don't know of any quick remedy for the poor management and morale at the PA DPW. Maybe a letter or email to the main office in Harrisburg?

    -Nutjob

    ReplyDelete