Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pittsburgh Dance Alloy Theatre is Exposed

In many ways, Pittsburgh is an embarrassment of riches, and I sometimes forget how lucky we are for having such a vibrant arts scene. Last night I was reminded of this as I traveled over to the Hazlett Theatre for Dance Alloy Theatre’s Exposed.

Maybe it was immaturity, or shallowness, or just pure laziness, but when I was younger, I was not a fan of the more abstract—be it music, dance, or visual art. I wanted everything spelled out for me, I wanted to see something and immediately get it.

Now, while the more abstract may not always necessarily be my first choice, over the years I’ve come to appreciate the talent that goes into it, and how we can all bring our own personal repertoires into the story.

Artistic Executive Director Beth Corning did such a good job greeting the audience and telling us a bit about the three pieces and reminded us, simply and eloquently, that sometimes dance doesn’t necessarily have a story. Or perhaps one story, because it’s about anything viewers want it to be, to conform to what they’re feeling, or have experienced, or their viewpoints.

Of the three pieces, Beth’s 4-2 Men was the most linear story – about men who were puppets, constrained by hooded puppet masters. Then the puppets had the opportunity to cut the cord, so to speak, and experience love, freedom, and manipulation themselves.

The final performance of the evening was also a world premiere by an African émigré Nora Chipaumire who provided a piece involving angels. The work was ethereal and primal and soft but very powerful. The performance was paired with original music that completely complemented the dance and brought the mood from somber to soaring.

I was reminded of our embarrassment of riches here in Pittsburgh, and how Dance Alloy is such a shining example of that. Exposed has completed its run, but anyone interested in Dance Alloy should go to their next event in mid-April. It will feature new works in progress, and the five dollar admission (yowsa!) includes a wine and cheese reception, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment